Friday, May 1, 2015

The Boy Who Dared

In the book, The Boy Who Dared, by Susan Campbell Bartoletti what the writer did to to capture my interest in the beginning, was she left me on a clip hanger. Susan Campbell got my interest in the beginning opening pages by the clip hanger she wrote, the clip hanger was when she wrote about Helmuth being in jail, but didn't tell you why, which caught my interest because I kept thinking why he got put in prison. In the text it says, "In a cell on the ground floor, the light shifts dark shapes into a bed made of wooden boards with no mattress or blanket. On that bed, thin, huddled figure, Helmuth, a boy of seventeen, lies awake." This quote reveals some knowledge of Helmuth being in prison at the age of seventeen, but she doesn't tell us why he is there. The author doesn't explain how he got there or why, she only explains that he is there, and that is what caught my interest. The clip hanger of wondering how he got in prison is what got me interested, so I continue to read the book.


1 comment:

  1. I think you did a really good job! This brief blurb really interested me and now I want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete