Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Poetry Response 1/27/16

"Alone" By Edgar Allen Poe


From childhood's hour I have not been

As others were; I have not seen

As others saw; I could not bring

My passions from a common spring

From the same source I have not taken

My sorrow; I could not awaken 

My heart of joy the same tone;

And all I loved, I loved alone.

Then- in my childhood, in the dawn

Of a most stormy life- was drawn

From every depth of good and ill

The mystery which binds me still:

From the torrent, or the fountain;

From the red cliff of the mountain,

From the sun that round me rolled,

In its autumn tint of gold,

From the lightning in the sky

As it passed me flying by,

From the thunder and the storm, 

And the cloud that took the form

(When the rest of Heaven was blue)

Of a demon in my view. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The poem that I chose to write is "Alone," by Edgar Allen Poe. I chose this poem for various reasons. It's unique compared to other poems that I have read, its darker; it expresses so much through the simplest word choice. It mainly makes me question myself and ask what the mystery is behind it that made him write this type of poem. This poem expresses about his feelings/beings alone and I think many people can sometimes relate to that. He says stuff about the difference from what other people (children) saw and were doing compared to him. It's a dark poem, but it's truthful, not all people have happy childhoods and I think that's what mainly gets to me about this poem. 
I think this poem is about his childhood and him feeling alone. It seems to me that his childhood was very dark and thats what made him express intense/dark points of view in the poem. He uses small words, but they give a lot of meaning to the poem. This poem seems like he was different from other children in his time and so when he said "When the rest of heaven was blue...Of a demon in my view, " it makes me think what the demon sort of represented, so it sort of got me thinking that it could be about a parent, family member, or just a person in general. I think the author wrote this poem because he needed to let out his feelings. I think that he was passionate about it and thought that it was better to share it with everyone else instead of hiding it away. Edgar Allen Poe, I believe wrote this poem to sort of send a message of some sort to a person or himself. It shows what is to be alone through an intense concept. 
This poem reminds me of children around the world, who may feel or are all alone. They do things by themselves and what Edgar said, "And all I loved, I loved alone," made me wonder if thats what other people whether they are adults or children feel at times. I think about children mainly in the world because this poem mainly is about his childhood, so others could possibly have the same childhood or similar to his. This poem also made me think of a time when my cousin and I got lost one time when we were younger in a store. We got scared that we were left alone, it was terrifying and was an awful feeling. It made us feel like something bad was gonna happen, so I can of feel like when it says "of a demon in my view," that it sort of represents what he is afraid of. 
I drew this picture because it was what I visualized as I read this poem. I drew it because of the last three lines, which are, "And the cloud that took the form (When the rest of Heaven was blue) Of a demon in my view." Those lines were mainly the ones that got my attention about this poem because it it really "dark" and it kind of makes it harder to understand the meaning of them compared to rest of lines in the poem.  

I commented on Darya's Blog, Sam's Blog, and Yazmin's Blog









1 comment:

  1. Great job! I really liked how you gave an example as to why his poem might have been so dark also on how it might have had something to do with his childhood.

    ReplyDelete